Jennifer Germaine’s latest JATC Bulletin contains several articles covering the most urgent steps apprenticeship programs need to take to comply with the December 19, 2016, revisions to the apprenticeship regulations.
The following items should be an apprenticeship program’s priority to meet the compliance deadline of July 17, 2017. Each of these items are discussed more in depth in this JATC Bulletin.
- Develop internal procedures to be followed for equal opportunity standards, including designating an individual to be responsible for the equal opportunity standards (usually the Training Coordinator). Your procedures should also cover how the following items #2-4 will be handled by the program.
- Update your nondiscrimination pledges, any necessary documentation containing the pledges (standards, affirmative action plan, notice of openings, etc.), and complaint procedures to be followed and distribute to all applicants and apprentices in writing.
- Implement nondiscrimination and harassment policies and training, including with journeyworkers and employers regularly engaged with the program.
- Develop a list of recruitment sources with contact information.
- Develop a process to maintain medical records of apprentices in separate confidential medical files.
Click on this JATC Bulletin for more information.
If you would like assistance in complying with any of the above, please contact Jennifer E. Germaine.